Sunday, February 24, 2008

Aleece - my little angel


I was so proud of Aleece today. In sacrament meeting the primary got up to sing "I Am a Child of God". Aleece was so excited to go up and do it. The minute that it was time for her to go up she started to head up there. She asked me to come with her for part of the way and then let me know that she could do it herself. She walked up there and stood right in the front row and sang her little heart out. She did a great job, smiling and singing. I could hear her voice very clearly above the other children's voices. Toward the end of the song she looked over and saw me and gave me a little wave with that bright smile and those big brown eyes. It made me tear up. I am so proud to be her father.

It made me think ahead in life about the other times that she will ask me to guide her part way and then let me know she can go the rest of the way on her own. I hope and pray that as her father I will be able to provide the care and comfort to her that she will need to continue on with talking the steps. This was a small moment today, singing in sacrament, but I look forward to stepping into a baptismal font with her smiling that same cute smile. That will be another day that my pride will beam. I look forward to the day she enters young women's, telling me she can do that on her own. And of course, the day that she waves to me in a sealing room as she walks in dressed in white to be sealed to her worthy young man for time and all eternity.

All of these thought confirm to me the joy there is in being a parent, and especially a father. Mothers have the hard job with raising children. There is no doubt of that in my mind. I sometimes think as a father that it's too easy for me to sit and watch the growth and development of our children. Stephanie does so much to make these girls who they are. More often then not I come home at the end of the day and probably destroy all of Steph's handiwork. I know that makes it hard on her, but she is such a good mom. There is no question about that. It was a role she was born to fill.

I hope that as a father I am being a good father. It's hard for me to know if I am because I feel as if I am a tough dad. Maybe I punish more than I should. Maybe I expect more than I should. I don't know if there is a right way to do it. I know there is a wrong way and I don't want to do that. I struggle every single day with wondering if what I do as a father is the best way. Somedays, like today, I know that I am doing a good thing. When Aleece asks me about Jesus and how much he loves her I know that something I have done has been right. When she tells me she wishes she could see Joseph Smith I know that I have done something right. She she tells me that she's going to miss President Hinckely because he was so nice I know I have done something right.

Of all things in my life, whether they be things of greatness and progress or my mistakes and follies in life I know one thing for sure - and it is that I love Aleece more than I should be allowed to as a father. She really is such a good girl. We have these great little talks at night when I take her to bed. It has become my job to take her into bed and read her a goodnight story. Sometimes we read and sometimes she asks me to tell her stories about when I was a little boy and sometimes she just asks me questions. Let me tell you - they are some great questions. She so smart and adorable and I wouldn't trade her for anything. And although she can get under my skin and rub me the wrong way I can't stay upset with her for long. She knows when I am upset and she'll come find me and throw her arms around my neck and tell me "Daddy, I love you sooo much!" and that is usually the end.

So I've realized why Heavenly Father wanted us to have our own children - so that we could be as happy as he is.

2 comments:

mamasteph said...

Thank you for this. It really touched me. You are a wonderful father and we are so lucky to have two beautiful, smart little girls!

M {3 said...

You two make me so amazed as I watch how much you love your children. Sometimes when raising my family I would think no one could love their children more than I do, but I know you two love yours just as much. I know those girls love you as well. I love how Aleece scurries to get ready for bed when she knows you are ready to tell her stories. When it comes to music those children are way ahead of most kids with two such talented parents. Keep up the good work. I know you know when you get too tough and I know you always want them to know you love them, unconditionally!